Friday, October 31, 2008

We met M'Liss Rae Hawley!




When our local Joann reopened last month as a superstore (and what a needed upgrade that was!), M’Liss Rae Hawley came as part of the grand opening. If you do not know who she is, she is a quilter, designer, author, lecturer, and instructor. She has published a number of books, and she has her own line of fabric at Joann that she has designed. And my daughters and I got the chance to see her and meet her!

She spoke on some general quilting topics, and, the best part of all, she had brought a number of her quilts with her for “show-and-tell”! It was really something to see in person the quilts that have been featured in the pages and on the covers of her books! Afterwards, I got the opportunity to talk with her a bit, and to ask her some questions. It was an awesome experience.

She of course took an interest in the girls. I mean, how many 10- and 12-year-olds do you know that sew and quilt? She encouraged them to keep up the quilting, and she recommended her beginner’s level quilting book to them:




I decided to purchase this one (I'll let you know how it turns out, if I ever attempt it):


One thing I need to mention is that, when I heard she was coming, I decided to buy a couple of her fabrics and stitch up a quick tote. So, she told me later that, when I first walked up to hear her lecture, she noticed my tote right away. AND, the blouse she wore was made of the same materials as my tote!



Who knew??!!! So she wanted a picture, and so did I of course, but I didn’t want to ask, so I’m glad she volunteered. She gave the girls and I pins to wear–no one else got any–and she gave us her business card. I was honored!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...